• Call-in Numbers: 917-633-8191 / 201-880-5508

  • Now Playing

    Title

    Artist

    Doug Ford, premier of Canada's most populous province Ontario, said "the prime minister has my full support for a strong response - tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar".

    Ontario, which has a large manufacturing and auto sector, has been among the hardest hit of Canada's provinces in this trade dispute. The economies of Quebec and British Columbia are also going to be especially exposed to the new tariffs.

    British Columbia Premier David Eby said in a statement on Friday night that "our politeness should never be mistaken for weakness".

    "We didn't ask for this, but we'll keep fighting for as long as it takes."

    Canada has been engaged in on-again, off-again trade negotiations with the US for over a year in pursuit of a deal that would see the US drop or reduce tariffs on these key sectors.

    The US, meanwhile, has been asking for a number of concessions from Canada, including removing its remaining retaliatory tariffs on American autos and adjusting its dairy quotas to allow greater access for US cheese producers.

    It has also asked that the ban on US alcohol sales, imposed last year by most Canadian provinces in retaliation to Trump's tariffs, be removed.

    In a statement on Saturday, the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States said it was "unfortunate that the Canadian provinces' continued refusal to return US spirits products to store shelves has led to this outcome".

    It said exports to Canada fell more than 70% year-over-year from the start of the retaliatory ban in March through December 2025.

    Read More


    Reader's opinions

    Leave a Reply