This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.


Doug Ford, the leader of Canada's most populous province Ontario, backed Carney and said Trump "can't be trusted".
British Columbia Premier David Eby said the US demand for restrictions on Canada's ability to have other trade deals "would reduce us to the economic equivalent of the 51st state".
"It was never acceptable to Canadians," Eby said.
The Conservative opposition leader Pierre Poilievre also appeared to support Carney, calling the latest US levies "unjustified".
Quebec's premier, Christine Fréchette, warned jobs would likely be lost as a result of the new US tariffs.
"Behind these numbers are real people," she said, vowing to introduce measures to support impacted sectors.
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, whose oil-rich province has worked to make inroads with the Trump administration, urged both sides to resume talks.
The collapse comes after more than a year of on-again, off-again trade talks, which intensified in recent weeks after a US-imposed deadline to strike a deal or face further tariffs.
The two countries were also engaged in a mandatory review of an existing North American free trade agreement, known as USMCA, with Mexico.
The pact was signed by Trump during his first term to replace the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement. It underpins $1.6tn (£1.2tn) in annual trilateral trade across Canada, the US and Mexico.
Earlier this summer, Canada and Mexico had formally requested for USMCA to be renewed for another 16 years. The US, however, declined to renew it in its current form.
Asked how Friday's trade talk collapse would impact the North American free trade pact, Carney said it was "certainly not good news".


Africana55 Radio